Wednesday, October 25, 2017

When God Yells



Earlier in the month I had the opportunity to go to a conference called Come Alive: Created to Create. The title alone got me all kinds of excited. I have been painting for the Lord for about two years now, started a YouTube channel and website by request of friends, and have really been challenging myself to go outside of my comfort zone to make a ministry out of my gift. The one thing I could not let go of and held on to for dear life was painting during worship.


I definitely worship while painting, its almost a form of prayer, but there is just something about standing in front of people and painting. There were so many fears and uncertainties.


What if it looked bad?
I don't want people staring at my butt.
What if I didn't finish the painting before worship ended?
How do I know what to paint?


I had talked myself out of painting during worship before I could even tell someone I wanted to do it. God had been telling me to do it, everyone was asking me to do it, but I held onto my fears through all of the subtle nudges. Then God decided to take things to a different level. He planted this conference in my ear. I got excited then decided it was too expensive. Then he provided a discount and a way. It was evident that I was not supposed to say 'no' to attending.
At the conference I was able to witness worship painting, live, intimately, for the first time. Literally right when we walked in, there the canvas was with a spotlight shining on it. It was amazing! After watching the painters during worship I received confirmation after confirmation.
Kelly, you have a gift!
Why aren't you using it?
Oh, you are Kelly!
Girl, God is going to heal some people through you!
People I had never met had heard of me. me?

When I came home I knew it was time. Honestly, who knows what God would have done if I didn't step out in faith and let go of my fear. I was still scared but allowed my faith to be bigger. With the help of my sister-in-law, who joined me for the conference, we etched out a plan. We would wait until the praise team and pastor went to the back to pray before service and set up the easel and supplies. I was trying to minimize the anticipation and pressure. We didn't even get permission (I know, we are rebels!). As we carried everything in and passed our church family they just smiled. Like it was normal. Worship started and I was shaking so bad I had to use my right hand to hold my left hand straight to paint. I'm sure it was quite comical to everyone watching.


I came with a tentative plan of what God wanted me to paint. Of course, mid-worship God changed that. He wanted me to paint the world and I didn't even bring green and blue paint. So I improvised. The end result depicted what God had showed me to paint during worship but the painting was definitely not my best work. I am still proud of it though. I was able to step right past my fear, shaking hands and all, to obey God. Sometimes God has to yell because I won't listen.



4 comments:

  1. Way to go! So glad to know you and have the honor of watching your journey. You are a gift!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mari! I am so thankful God brought us together! Its definitely been a journey!

      Delete
  2. Thats beautiful, both the picture and what God did in your heart!

    ReplyDelete