Friday, April 17, 2020

New Meaning of Food

I hear that y’all want an update ๐Ÿ˜ 
Well, Eric and I are doing well. Our appearance has definitely changed. We’ve lost about 60 lbs each and seem to be adapting to our new normal pretty well. We both haven’t gotten sick one time, which is awesome! We feel better and are sleeping better. There is a great sense of accomplishment when someone mentions that I am looking healthier (because I’ve always been beautiful ๐Ÿ˜‰).

My relationship with food is still evolving. In full transparency, I have caught myself eating a Girl Scout cookie or a bite of something taboo and then am overcome with some pretty significant guilt. Why do I feel doom when I had one cookie in two months? I think I’m at a place where I see that I shouldn’t have such a rigid relationship with food but a relational relationship with food. If that makes any sense? Don’t worry friends, I’m not jumping off the boat. My primary food is protein with a bite of veggies seven days a week but I do fear the pendulum swinging too far to the other side. So I’m trying to give myself some grace. My mind still craves some of the not healthy stuff but for the most part I am in a rhythm of eating my protein and drinking my water.  
My favorites things that keep me going right now are my vitamins (www.bariatricadvantage.com). They are my “candy” because they are chewy like starburst. And my chocolate protein powder that I have in my single cup of coffee each day (https://unjury.com/chocolate-splendor-protein-container/)

I am a lot less “excited” about food like I used to be. I think this is a good thing and was one of my issues before surgery. It is nice to order the most expensive thing on the menu and feel no guilt because it lasts for four meals! We are also so thankful for the small businesses and restaurants that know us and help us make choices that fit our new lifestyle. 
Because of COVID19 I have been cooking every night. Thank goodness for meal delivery programs! They have really helped me cook with flavors I typically wouldn’t. The kids think I’m trying to poison them because they want ramen, cereal, and pizza....but I’m working to change their minds. We are changing and that’s the point. I’m thankful more than ever for this choice and journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment